Lions' Gate Bridge Construction
Construction of the Lions’ Gate Bridge began on March 31st, 1937, and after one and a half years of construction, was opened to traffic on November 14th, 1938 at a cost of just under $6 million. Originally built and owned by the Guinness family, the bridge was sold to the province of British Columbia in 1955, and in 1963, the $.25 toll was removed from the bridge. While the bridge was originally constructed as a 2-lane bridge, when traffic increased, the road was repainted into 3 lanes. In the late 90s, the bridge was upgraded, with the main decks replaced, the lanes widened from 3 metres to 3.6 metres (10 feet to 12 feet), and the two pedestrian walkways were moved to the outside of the structure and were widened from 1.2 metres to 2.7 metres (4 feet to 9 feet).