Capilano Suspension Bridge
The Capilano Suspension Bridge spans 450 feet across and 230 feet above Capilano River. It is, perhaps, one of Vancouver’s oldest and most famous attractions, drawing almost 1 million visitors per year. The bridge was originally built in 1888 by George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer and land developer, with hemp rope. The rope was replaced in 1903 with wire cables. The bridge was rebuilt in 5 days in 1956 by encasing the cables in 13 tons of concrete at either end, and these cables remain today.